8/24/10

spectrality

I have an online presence. I go about my day on different websites, inputing data and receiving data in return. I give something of myself to a site and receive feedback. Some of these interactions are impersonal, such as the reading of an article. Others are intensely personal; the posting of photos on a profile with my name and information, twitter feeds of my location and what is on my mind, blogposts with essays and ruminations on my daily life. I even have alter egos, handles, avatars, I go by the many masks theorized by Nietzsche as fundamental to humanity in the sphere of modernity. I am fractured and reunited through text, image, and sound that I constitute and reconstitute with the use of a browser, my fingers, and my knowledge of the internet. I am cybernetic, the ghost in the machine.

I have been thinking about spectrality lately, which is to say I have been thinking of many concepts. Consider this, from dict.org:

118 Moby Thesaurus words for "spectral":
Barmecidal, Barmecide, airy, apparent, apparitional, astral,
autistic, bicolor, bicolored, cadaverous, chimeric, chromatic,
cold, colorful, colorific, coloring, colory, cool, corpselike,
crazy, daedal, deathlike, deceptive, delusional, delusionary,
delusive, delusory, dereistic, dichromatic, disembodied,
divers-colored, dreamlike, dreamy, ectoplasmic, eerie, erroneous,
ethereal, etheric, fallacious, false, fantastic, ghostish,
ghostlike, ghostly, ghosty, glowing, harlequin, harmonious,
illusional, illusionary, illusive, illusory, imaginary,
incorporeal, kaleidoscopic, many-colored, matching, medley,
misleading, monochromatic, monochrome, monochromic, motley,
multicolor, multicolored, multicolorous, ostensible, parti-color,
parti-colored, phantasmagoric, phantasmal, phantasmic, phantom,
phantomic, phantomlike, pigmentary, polychromatic, polychrome,
polychromic, prismal, prismatic, psychic, rainbow, seeming,
self-deceptive, self-deluding, shadowy, shot, shot through,
specious, specterlike, spiritual, spooky, supernatural,
supposititious, thunder and lightning, tinctorial, tingent, toning,
trichromatic, trichromic, tricolor, tricolored, two-tone, unactual,
unearthly, unfounded, unreal, unsubstantial, varicolored,
variegated, versicolor, versicolored, visionary, warm, weird,
wraithlike, wraithy


Interesting, no? Anyway, all this to say that I have been twittering, plurking, and facebooking instead of blogging. I'm not sure I like blogspot and I'm not sure if this persona fits anymore. I have enjoyed creating this site and contributing to it. It is a little like one of my former selves. We could be said to constantly reflect and deflect our former selves. Others' conceptions of us are always former selves, distorted by perception and personality. Life is truly movement in so many senses of the word as to be hermetic. Simply smiling and listening is a way of understanding. But I'm just rambling. Until next time. -low

3 comments:

  1. Hell it sounds good to me and supposedly it is cheaper than actual suicide--supposedly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. best thing i've read in months via the internet.

    ReplyDelete

methods

My photo
irony, sarcasm, honesty, sincerity, flattery, bribery, scammery, rhizomatery, connexion, communication