4/12/10

so I'm supposed to write for this class I'm sitting in on.

so I'm in this classroom right now and it's so freaking serene.
like, I could hear a pin drop or a phone vibrate. And it's nice
since really what is there to say in such a setting? Tony read
us this poem, the flea by donne, but I'm more interested in the
Kaplan University advertisement next to it. Kaplan is a testing
academy meant to teach you how to improve your ACT, SAT, GRE, +
LSAT scores or your money (not) back. There are questions as to
the effectiveness of Kaplan, and of course there is the question:
why are we teaching people how to take a test as opposed to edu-
-cating them? This makes me want to read Foucault or work at Kaplan,
one. I have a lot of actual writing to do, but this is the writing
I am doing because I want to feel part of a class that I am sitting
in on. Most of my 'fellow' students are using paper and a pen. Lord
knows what they're going on about. Maybe a few will read it out loud
and I can judge them magnanimously. Perhaps I could even speak up and
by tone of voice and choice of language express admiration or disgust
at their futile words that will have no effect on reality save a few
moments in a small classroom. But, you get what you can. Better than
sleeping or eating too much or smoking weed or stealing a car or nursing
your grandmother with infant formula. Why is there a poetry month? It's
not like we actually do anything about it. This whole tendency to name
something and consider that an action is pretty BS IMO. It's ineffectual
and the left has been placated far too long on renaming and reclassifying.
What about changing or improving the actual conditions? We have been running
simulations on life far too long. I say we take life itself into our own hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

methods

My photo
irony, sarcasm, honesty, sincerity, flattery, bribery, scammery, rhizomatery, connexion, communication